In November 2008 there were 1,463,666 active blogs on WordPress alone and 17,433,783 active posts, according to the WordPress November Wrap-up. And who knows how many more blogs and posts were created on the gazillion other blogging sites out there. With those numbers I think it is completely amazing that people find my blog at all.
If you’re wondering how best to promote your blog and stand out among the 1.5 million + other blogs out there, here are some suggestions:
- First and foremost you need to offer unique content that is valuable to your reader. This will keep them coming back, linking to your post or passing it along to friends.
- If you have more than one blog, link them to each other. If someone is interested in a particular topic and they find one blog and like your writing, they’re likely to check out what else you have written about.
- If you have profiles in your social networks like LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, etc., be sure to have links to both your website and your blog in all your profiles. You can also stream your blog into some of these sites so that when updating, you are updating profiles on all your social networks instantaneously.
- You must read other blogs and make comments. See what other bloggers are talking about and offer intelligent information, opinions and comments. Remember, you’re trying to build your network.
- Utilize Twitter. It’s a micro-blogging site and a great way to make contacts, find people who are interested in the same thing you are, read their blogs and offer your knowledge to them. This gets your name out there and people interested in what you have to offer.
- Utilize one of the many blogging networks such as BlogCatalog. This is a great way to manage all your blogs in one spot and build your blogging community.
There are many ways to promote your blog and make it stand out among the millions. Try different ways to see what works best for you. Just remember the most important thing about blog writing is content. So make it worth while.